Ello is a brand new social network that has taken the US by storm. Below is everything you need to know to impress your boss.
- Ello launched in early August with 90 members. It now gets over 30,000 membership requests per hour.
- The network is in public beta, so very few people are allowed to join. Each member can only invite 5 friends. Everyone else is put on the wait list.
- Invitations are being sold on eBay. (Really, I couldn’t make this up.)
- Ello is so popular because it promises to be ad free forever, never track members, and allow users to use pseudonyms.
- The timing is perfect. Consumers are mad at Facebook because of the deluge of ads and recent revelations that it manipulated users for "research."
- Ello’s design is simple and clutter free.
- The company says it plans to make money by offering premium services.
- Ello was started by an entrepreneur in Vermont, Paul Budnitz, who designs custom bicycles.
- The social net was originally for the founders’ friends only, but so many people wanted to join they opened it to the public.
Check Ello out yourself by signing up for the waitlist here. https://ello.co/request-an-invitation
What are the implications for your business?
- Have you put your name on the waitlist?
- Are you thinking about how you can use Ello for business?
For help developing powerful digital strategies that work, compelling marketing strategies that drive results, strategic plans that deliver growth, or new products that consumers love, contact Brandology at 925-417-2253 or Maura@Brandology.com.
Source: Time 2014, Wall Street Journal 2014, Wharton 2014