Over half of consumers turn to their computer when they want to contact a company, only 25% pick up the phone. That is just one reason why brands need to deliver outstanding customer service on social media. Others are:
- Consumers posted 77% more customer service inquires on social media this year than last year.
- The percentage of consumer posts that companies respond to has declined in the past 12 months.
- 30% of Americans expect companies to respond to an online comment in an hour or less.
- Businesses reply to consumer posts on Twitter in 9 hours on average.
- In the past 12 months, Twitter has surpassed Facebook as Americans’ favorite social network for contacting businesses. Brands have not followed that shift and 60% of customer service contacts on Twitter go unanswered.
- More than half of consumers say that when a brand responds to them online, it makes them feel better about the brand.
- 65% of shoppers have stopped buying a product due to poor customer service. The #1 reason they boycott companies is because they did not get their issue addressed the first time they contact the brand.
What are the implications for your business?
- Do you have people and systems in place to respond to every online customer contact?
- Are you monitoring emerging social networks to make sure you are responding to consumers everywhere they want to connect with you?
For help developing powerful digital strategies that work, compelling marketing strategies that drive results, strategic plans that deliver growth, or new products that consumers love, contact Brandology at 925-417-2253 or Maura@Brandology.com.
Sources: Microsoft 2014, Social Bakers 2014, Sprout Social 2014