Chatbots are software (oftentimes within a messaging app) that use artificial intelligence to mimic human conversation. As chatbots go mainstream in customer service, commerce, and content delivery, here’s what you need to know.
- 58% of Millennials have already used a chatbot, and 53% of the rest are interested in trying one.
- 70% of users were happy with their experience.
- Women are more likely to use chatbots than men, by a significant margin.
- The key benefits expected from chatbots are 24-hour service, instant responses, and convenience.
- Emergency answers, being forwarded to the appropriate person, purchasing items, and resolving complaints top the list of what consumers want from chatbots.
- Virtually all Millennials are interested in learning about deals, products, and services via chatbots.
- 67% of Millennials are likely to buy via chatbot, with 38% very likely to make a purchase.
- Globally, consumers are most interested in seeing chatbots in the financial services, retail, and travel/hospitality industries.
- Early adopters—including Sephora and Pizza Hut—are already deep into experimenting with chatbots.
Sources: MyClever 2016, OpenMarket 2017, Retale 2017, Venture Beat 2016