The holidays are the best time of year to get new high value customers who make repeat online purchases throughout the year. Surprised? Here are the fast facts.
- The average business acquires 24% of its new online customers during the holidays. That number is fairly consistent between popular gifting categories (think electronics, apparel) and others (food, beauty, etc.)
- Roughly the same percentage of customers become repeat buyers, regardless of whether their first purchase occurred during the holidays or at another time of year.
- 39% of new customers who buy during the holidays and buy again, repurchase within 30 days. That means many first time holiday shoppers buy twice before the end of the year.
- The next most common time for holiday customers to buy again is early the next calendar year.
- Very, very few new holiday purchasers become “holiday only” buyers, returning every November/December.
- While holiday shoppers may be attracted by discounts and free shipping, their average order value is within striking distance of all other customers’.
- The lifetime value of first-time holiday purchasers is just 13% below customers acquired at other times of the year.
Sources: Magenta 2016