While we were busy talking about big data and marketing ROI, emoji marketing caught fire. Should your brand participate? Here are the fast facts.
- Psychologists say consumers respond to emojis the same way they react to a live person making the same expression. Smiley face emojis make your customers smile.
- 92% of the online population uses emojis, and the majority in all age ranges utilize the symbols frequently.
- 84% of women and three quarters of men believe emojis express emotions better than words.
- Humans process visuals much more rapidly than text, so emoji messages are absorbed fast when consumers scan their social feeds.
- 40% of top brands used emojis on Facebook in Q4 2015, up 46% versus a year ago. The number of emojis on Twitter is increasing rapidly too.
- Brands are driving sales with emoji marketing. For example, Dominos created a custom pizza symbol that customers can use to place an order with just one keystroke on Twitter.
What are the implications for your business?
- Have you looked at what others are doing with emoji marketing? Check out how brands as different as Bud Light, GE and Deadpool are using the symbols.
- Have you tested emoji marketing on your social channels?
For help developing powerful digital strategies that work, compelling marketing strategies that drive results, strategic plans that deliver growth, or new products that consumers love, contact Brandology at 925-417-2253 or Maura@Brandology.com.
Sources: Adweek 2015, Hubspot 2016, Socialbakers 2016, Sprout Social 2016