Live video streaming apps look like the next big thing in social media. Here are 10 key facts about app-based mobile broadcasting.
- Periscope and Meerkat are the leading live video streaming apps. Both make it easy to live stream a video from your smartphone to Twitter.
- These apps let you interact in real-time with your followers during each video session.
- Periscope allows watchers to replay videos within the first 24 hours, Meerkat does not.
- Ellen DeGeneres, Hillary Clinton and Jamie Oliver are already using these apps.
- 50% of Millennials say they use/plan to use mobile broadcasting apps.
- Consumers believe they will use live video streaming to share life events and to keep current with world events.
- Experts project live video streaming apps could revolutionize news, entertainment and sports.
- Lawyers anticipate a huge new revenue stream from this novel way to infringe on copyrights.
- Consumers are divided about whether marketers should participate. Younger Americans are much more open than older ones to brand storytelling via live video streaming.
- This trend is still in its infancy. Periscope and Meerkat both launched in early 2015.
What are the implications for your business?
- How could you leverage live streaming video to connect with your consumers?
- When can you run a small scale, low risk test?
For help developing powerful digital strategies that work, compelling marketing strategies that drive results, strategic plans that deliver growth, or new products that consumers love, contact Brandology at 925-417-2253 or Maura@Brandology.com.
Sources: Horizon Media 2015, Marie Clare 2015, Social Media Examiner 2015, Time 2015