Since the acquisition of Whole Foods by Amazon, everyone seems hungry for information about online grocery shopping. I thought I would indulge your obsession with a handful of fast facts.
- In the past 6 months, over 30% of Americans purchased groceries online at least once.
- Ecommerce sales represent 28% of the CPG beauty category and 27% of pet care products, but only 3% of dry grocery.
- Online sales—rather than brick and mortar sales—are driving the majority of growth in most grocery departments.
- In the general merchandise and beauty care categories, online sales are driving all the growth. Brick and mortar sales actually declined over the past 12 months.
- Subscriptions represent a significant portion of ecommerce grocery revenue with 49% of men’s shave products, 23% of nuts, and 19% of diapers sold via monthly subscription services.
- Geolocation apps, order wands, and buy again buttons are some of the ecommerce features consumers like most.
- Wanting to pick their own produce is the #1 reason why consumers have not tried online grocery shopping.
- The people buying CPG products online are exactly who you think they are: Millennials, higher income, well educated, and urban consumers.
Sources: Deloitte 9/17, FMI 9/17, Harris Poll 6/16, Nielsen 9/17