21% of Americans (and dropping) are active on Twitter. The same percentage (and rising rapidly) listens to podcasts monthly. Yet marketers spent only $34 million total on podcast advertising last year.
Here’s what you need to know to decide if podcasts should be part of your marketing mix.
- 57 million Americans listen to podcasts monthly, including 24% of 25-54 year olds.
- Monthly podcast engagement jumped 75% in the past 2 years, driven by Serial (the most popular podcast of all time that received tremendous media coverage), simplified listening technology and improved content.
- Listeners are richer and more educated than the national average. They are also more likely to be on social media and follow brands.
- Half of all weekly listeners spend more than 3 hours per week with podcasts.
- On average, users listen to 5 podcasts per week.
- Podcast listeners spend the biggest share of their total listening time (cleverly called “share of ear”) with podcasts. AM/FM radio comes in second.
- 71% prefer to listen to podcasts on portable devices, a dramatic increase since 2013.
- Home is the most popular listening location, followed by the car.
All data points to more consumers listening to more podcasts in the future.
Sources: Convince and Convert 2016, Edison Research 2016, Pew Research 2016, Social Media Examiner 2016